Why should you buy a bed sofa?
- Versatility: A sofa bed is as comfortable as a bed and still works as a sofa for your living room. Modern and good quality sofa beds can easily replace those bulky sofas which could be only used for sitting.
While we can recall sleeping on our rough sofa bed, we surely don’t want it to continue, especially when manufacturing technologies have come up with a well-made frame, base and also foam that ensures your comfort when you sleep on it.
Apart from all of this, a sofa bed is a great addition to your home when visitors arrive, and you are in need of an extra bed.
- Varied Shapes and Sizes: There was a time when sofa beds were only available with two-seaters. But, with time, we have come across varied shapes from beds in a box, two-seaters, L-shaped to three-seaters, which can be converted into a bed to suit your needs, and the space available.
Since they are available in a number of shapes and sizes, you can consider buying one if you are living in an apartment, small house or you share a flat with a roommate. This can save you a lot of space while allowing you to accumulate it with other important objects.
- Clever Storage Space: Whether it’s a sofa, a bed or a sofa bed, you can not end up with one of these without inquiring about the storage space. This storage space is a blessing in disguise that hides away any of the stuff you don’t want lying around or is essential enough to be stored in a safe place.
Not just that, the best sofa beds in Australia come with cup holders for you to enjoy a leisurely evening with food, drinks, and movies.
Guest Bed Or For Sleepovers?
A sofa bed can accompany you, especially when a guest is coming over. You can surely assemble an extra bed for your visitor, but a usable sofa that can be converted into a bed isn’t that bad. It can save you the extra space and the effort of putting away bulky sleep surfaces in a cupboard or loft space.
They are also a great alternative if your child is having yet another sleepover.
- If You Are On A Budget: If getting a sofa bed is not cost-effective, I don’t know what is. Since you are purchasing equipment that satisfies two purposes, it increases its utility, and with better material, you can enjoy it for a very long time.
What To Consider When Buying A Sofa Online?
Buying a sofa bed online might seem a bit daunting. What will it look like? How will it feel? What if you don’t like it once it’s in your home?
We’ve pulled together the top things to look for when buying a sofa online. Considering these should give you confidence in your choice:
1. Shipping: Before you click buy, ensure you know the shipping costs to avoid any nasty surprises. Because of the size of sofas, you’re normally looking at oversize delivery costs. One way around this is choosing a sofa in a box which is more affordable.
As well as cost, understand the expected delivery timeframe. If it’s in stock, it could be with you in days. But if it’s being customised to your colour, or not manufactured locally, it could be weeks.
Pay attention to what the shipping includes. Will the delivery team bring it to your curb? Deliver it into your lounge? Or unwrap it, assemble it and remove any rubbish?
With any online purchase, the returns process is important. Understand what will happen if you get your new sofa home, only to find out it’s uncomfortable or the colour is wrong.
If there’s no defect or manufacturing issue, you may not be able to return it.
Some retailers do offer a change of mind return within a certain number of days. Look out for that if you’re unsure of your choice.
4. Colour: The colour you see on your screen may not be a good reflection of the colour in real life. The best way to understand the colour you’re getting is to order fabric swatches.
Most online retailers offer fabric swatches. Ideally, more than 1 and free. Use your screen to narrow down your preferences and then order some swatches.
Fabric swatches will also give you a good idea of how your new sofa will feel.
4. Sofa Bed Reviews: We’ve done most of the hard work for you, but dive into customer reviews yourself. This will help you understand how the sofa performs in real life.
If the retailers don’t list reviews on their websites, search out blogs, social media or independent customer review websites. Look for customer photos. Without professional styling and lighting, you’ll get a better idea of what the sofa looks like.
5. Measurements: Have a look at your available space. Mark out ideal sofa dimensions on the floor in different locations. Ensure you’ve got room to move around. Compare the dimensions of the sofa you’re considering buying to existing furniture. You’ll be able to see how much more – or less – space you’ll be dealing with.
Even if you don’t have a spare sofa to compare it to, a chair would work. Think about how easy it is to get up from that seat height. Or how the height looks against the wall. Or how comfy the arm height is. Considering all this will give you the ideal measurements of your new sofa.
Oh, and remember to measure your doorways, hallways and stairwells for delivery too!
6. Discounts: Thanks to their low overheads, online retailers frequently offer sale prices. Contact them and ask them if they have any sales coming up. Or sign up to their newsletter for a discount code. Most retailers have sales around holiday periods.
If you can wait, you’ll get a better price.
7. Material And Construction
Look for the following when reading online product descriptions to ensure a quality, durable sofa:
- Frame – should be hardwood, particularly kiln-dried hardwood. Cheap plywood and fibreboard might not last.
Joinery – should be ‘mortise and tenon’. This is a centuries-old construction technique that’s simple and strong. Dovetail joints are also good. Look for joints that are glued, stapled and screwed.
- Cushions – aim for high-density foam so it bounces back, even after continued use. Down cushions require frequent fluffing. Try out different fills at a local store to see what you find comfortable.
- Springs – eight-way hand-tied steel springs are the strongest, most resilient springs. Serpentine springs are more affordable but also good quality. Try to avoid mesh or webbing which may not survive extended use.
- Fabric – aim for a durable fabric sofa bed and consider paying extra for a stain treatment. Look for covers that are removable and washable for easy care.
8. Hypoallergenic Properties: There are people out there who are allergic to a lot of materials or fabrics. These allergies can render a runny nose and itchy eyes, especially after waking up from sleep. So, it is better to acquire knowledge on hypoallergenic properties and if they have been involved in the manufacturing of the sofa.
9. Budget: It is always helpful to stick to your budget. So that you know if you are increasing it, it is because of the specific products you came across. This way, you would know when to increase your budget and when to stick to it in order to land a reasonable purchase.
10. Trial period: Ensure if the sofa bed brand offers a trial period. A trial period of 30 to 100 days can help you in making the decision if the sofa bed is equipped with the material, construction, style statement, colour, and feel according to your needs.
11. Customer review: Customer reviews are the best approach to fully understand the characteristics of a product. The consumers of these products are somewhat experiencing it and letting you know their honest reviews, which can be helpful for you to make an informed decision.
12. Compare and contrast Different Brands: Different brands come with varied advantages and disadvantages. To gain every possible information on each brand related to the product you wish to buy, you need to compare the various brands and their pros and cons to end up with the one that satisfies your needs.
How Often Will The Sofa Bed Be Used?
If you are purchasing a sofa bed for occasional guest visits, then you can consider getting a sofa with a less plush mattress. However, if you are planning to lounge or doze off on the sofa bed more often, then you should opt for a mattress that is thick, tough to minimise the tossing and turning while rendering a comfortable space.
Are Sofa Beds Comfortable?
With the construction and design of sofa beds evolving, several brands, from Koala to Plush, have engineered various approaches to bring the most comfortable sofa beds to your home.
A sofa bed does give a picture of a thin mattress that comes with a compact size frame, but that doesn’t mean that they aren’t comfortable. With changing perspective, technique, and strategy, we have landed a wide range of products under the sofa bed category that are comfortable and caters to all types of needs and concerns.
How Much Space Do You Have?
If you are a college student or someone who just started working in a new city and stays in a small apartment, then a sofa bed is the best living room accessory that can become compatible with most of your furniture.