There’s nothing quite like crawling into a freshly made bed with crisp, clean sheets and fluffy pillows. But what about the quilt cover? Sure, you can head to your local home goods store and pick out a plain, boring one, but where’s the fun in that?
Customising your own bedding is easier than you might think! In this post, we’ll show you how to make your very own DIY quilt covers that are unique and personalised to your style. Ready to upgrade your bedroom game? Let’s get started!
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Make a DIY Quilt Cover
A DIY quilt cover is a great way to add a splash of color or pattern to your space, and it’s not as difficult as you might think. Just follow these simple steps and you’ll have a beautiful new quilt cover in no time:
- Begin by measuring the width and length of your mattress. You’ll need these measurements to determine how much fabric you’ll need for your quilt cover.
- Cut two pieces of fabric that are each twice the width of your mattress and the same length as your mattress. These will be the front and back panels of your quilt cover.
- Cut four strips of fabric that are 2-3 inches wide and the same length as your mattress. These will be used for the sides of your quilt cover.
- Sew the four strips together at their long edges to form a large rectangle. Then, sew this rectangle onto one of the long edges of one of the larger pieces of fabric (this will be the bottom edge of your quilt cover).
- Sew the other large piece of fabric to the other long edge of the rectangle (this will be the top edge of your quilt cover).
- Hem all four sides of your quilt cover to finish it off!
Once you have your quilt cover constructed, you can get creative and add whatever embellishments or appliques you’d like. Quilt covers are a great way to show off your style and personalise your bedroom decor. Enjoy!
Necessary Materials Needed to Create DIY Quilt Covers
In order to make your own quilt covers, you will need the following materials:
- 1 to 1 1/2 yards of cotton fabric (depending on the size of your quilt)
- 1/4 yard of fusible interfacing
- Iron and ironing board
- Sewing machine and thread
First, you will need to cut your fabric into two rectangles. The dimensions of the rectangles will depend on the size of your quilt. Once you have cut the fabric, interface one of the rectangles by following the instructions on the interfacing package. Check it out now Summer Quilts in Australia 2023 and see what you can find!
Next, line up the two rectangles with right sides together and sew around all four sides, leaving a small opening for turning.
Turn the cover right side out and press. Hand stitch the opening closed and admire your new DIY quilt cover!
Tips and Tricks for Making Your Own Unique Bedding Design
If you’re looking for a way to add a personal touch to your bedroom décor, DIY quilt covers are a great option! With just a little time and effort, you can create a one-of-a-kind bedding set that reflects your unique style. Not sure where to start? Here are some tips and tricks for making your own quilt cover:
- Choose a fabric that speaks to you. Whether it’s a patterned cotton or a luxe velvet, the fabric you select will be the foundation of your design. Consider how the fabric will feel against your skin – you want it to be soft and comfortable!
- Decide on a quilt cover size. Will you make a standard twin, full, or queen size quilt cover? Or, get creative and make an oversized king or even custom sized quilt cover!
- Find inspiration for your design. Take a look around your room and find colors and patterns that inspire you. You can also browse through magazines or online galleries for ideas.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. This is your chance to get creative! Try out different techniques and stitches until you find something you love.
- Have fun! Making your own quilt cover should be enjoyable so take the time to enjoy the process.
Once you’ve made your quilt cover, you can wash it in the washing machine and tumble dry it on a low heat setting. And, if you’re feeling adventurous, why not make matching pillowcases and shams too? Now that you know some tips and tricks for making your own quilt cover, get creative and start designing!
Also Read : How to Wash Your Favourite Doona?
Different Types of Fabrics You Can Use for Quilt Covers
There are a variety of different types of fabrics you can use to make a quilt cover. The most common type of fabric is cotton, but you can also find quilt covers made from polyester, linen, and other materials.
Cotton is the most popular choice for quilt covers because it is soft, durable, and easy to care for. Polyester is another popular choice because it is also soft and durable, but it is not as easy to care for as cotton. Linen is a less popular choice for quilt covers because it is more expensive and difficult to care for, but it has a luxurious feel that some people prefer.
When choosing a fabric for your quilt cover, consider how you will be using it. If you plan on using it as a decorative item, choose a fabric that is beautiful and easy to care for. If you plan on using it as a functional item, choose a fabric that is durable and easy to care for.
Also Read : Best cotton quilt in Australia