If you are among the privileged few who own mattress protectors, then congratulations! You are on your way to a great night of rest.
Mattress protectors are used to maintain the quality of mattresses by minimizing allergens and dust mites that may cling to some fabrics, while also preventing stains from liquid spills, including coffee or wine.
●●●●● (4.7/5) based on 518% reviews
Your mattress is one of your most important investments in good night’s sleep for years into the future, which is why it is so important to take care of it properly. Spending a few minutes each week to care for your mattress is the only way to ensure its longevity. By taking time to protect your investment, you can keep your mattress looking great for years to come.
Research shows that over 50% of mattresses are stained within 6 months of purchase. The average lifespan of a mattress is about 10 years. This means that if you are continually washing bedding, all the while leaving dirt and dust behind, then it could be decades before your mattress reaches its original state.
That’s too long to wait! There are steps you can take today to preserve the quality of your mattress for many years beyond its original purchase price.
- Clean spills quickly and thoroughly to avoid stains.
- Take out of storage, clean and air dry your mattress at least once a month.
- Do not allow children to play on the bed. Children may leave marks on the mattress that can trap allergens and cause allergies.
- Do not allow pets to sleep on the bed or place towels or linen over it where they may soil your mattress or leave stains. Pets can also transmit fleas and ticks, which will transfer bacteria from their urine to other surfaces in your home.
How to Put A Mattress Protector Over a Mattress with a Mattress Topper?
The idea that most people have is that they will need to remove the mattress topper and then put the protector on top of it. This does work but it requires a lot of effort. Fortunately for you, we have found an easier way with this article.
It’s not very difficult at all with our guide and we promise you won’t be disappointed! We’ll show you how to put a mattress protector over a mattress with a mattress topper in 4 easy steps:
- Purchase the proper size protector – First, make sure you get the right size of protector by measuring your bed frame, side rails, and headboard if necessary. We recommend purchasing a mattress protector that is about an inch larger than your actual mattress. This will allow you plenty of room to put the protector on top of the mattress and then secure it with the extra pieces of elastic we provide.
- Put on the protectors – Second, lay your protectors out as shown in the photo above and simply roll the top edge over them as pictured here. Then, secure each side with either side rails or headboard pins as necessary by following our step-by-step instructions. This ensures you’ll come out of this process with a great looking protected mattress that should last a long time!
- Place the mattress on top – Third, place the mattress on top and make sure there’s some space between the new mattress and the sides of your bed frame. If you do not leave enough space then it will be difficult to secure them properly.
- Secure it with elastic – Fourth, use some scissors to cut some safety elastic into small pieces (about 1-inch in length). Place one piece at a time onto your safety pins and then secure them by twisting around once they’re through the new mattress. Do this for each side rail or headboard pin as necessary to ensure it stays put for good! This is an easy way to make sure your mattress protector won’t move around once you put it on.
Unpack the Mattress protector:
There are different types of mattress protectors out there, but at their most basic they all do two things:
1) Cover the top of your mattress for protection.
2) Help prevent allergies from reaching the top of your mattress where you sleep.
Let the Mattress Topper Expand Completely:
Here are some quick tips to help you with the inflating process.
It is important that the topper is allowed to fully expand before moving on to step 3. This can take up to one hour so please be patient for this time period. When you feel the mattress getting firmer, this means that your mattress-topper has expanded and is ready for use!
Please note: it’s not necessary to over inflate your mattress protector. In fact, if done too much it could cause a great amount of strain on the seams. Inflating it up will give you an extra layer of comfort while still giving you a firm feeling when resting or sleeping on top of it.
Position the Mattress Topper on Top of the Mattress and Secure It in Place:
Now that the mattress protectors are on top of the mattress, they need to be secured in place. To secure them in place, use the elastic bands provided to dramatically reduce the risk of leaks.
The first step is to go around each corner of the protector with an elastic band. Then pull each side tight so it creates a nice seal with the edge of your mattress’ frame (also known as its “rim”).
This is done by positioning your hand at one end of that end and then pulling on one side until it’s taut, then repeating at the opposite end. The seal should stop air from leaking out, which can cause odors and stains to form inside your mattress’ protector (not good!).
See Also – Best Pillow in Australia
How to Wash and Dry a Waterproof Mattress Protector?
A mattress protector is a must have for every bed base owner. It helps to prevent the formation of mold, allergens, dust mites, and other contaminants on your bed. If you are ever in need of washing or drying this item in order to maintain its effectiveness you should know what the proper techniques are in order to do so without damaging the product. Learn more about how best to care for your waterproof mattress protector in this article.
Washing and Drying a Waterproof Mattress Protector
When it comes time to wash or dry your waterproof mattress protector, there are some important things that one must keep in mind.
Put the mattress protector in a bathtub or laundry sink, then use a hose to thoroughly spray water on top of it several times. This will help you get all of the dirt and debris that has gathered on the product. Use a sponge to gently wipe off any leftover residue that is left on the protector. Once this is done, take it out of the sink and leave it to dry on an outdoor clothesline or indoors with a fan blowing over it for at least 24 hours. And after that gently wash it.
Use the bed skirt if the protector is not tight-fitting. Put clean bed sheets with a fitted sheet or flat pad on top of the bed skirt before putting on the protector. This will ensure your sheets stay tidy during washing and drying cycles if they are too big, don’t stay in place, or have one elastic corner that needs an additional anchor point. Use cold water in your washing machine.
The last thing you want to do is wait until your mattress starts to lose its loft and bounce, because by then it’s too late. The best way to prevent those problems is by using a Best mattress topper. With this protection in place, your bed will last for many more years and you’ll be able to sleep soundly knowing that the contents of your bed are safe from dust mites and other microscopic invaders.
We hope we’ve answered any questions you may have had about mattresses and their protection! If we missed something, we’re happy to help further at any time! Just shoot us an email or give us a call anytime.